Saturday, December 6, 2008

I'm Not The Only Anu Jayanth

I googled Anu Jayanth - perhaps to confirm that I exist - and it seems that I'm not the only Anu Jayanth.

There's also another Anu Jayanth, in Facebook. In a quick email exchange I learnt that her name is indeed Anu Jayanth and she has more right to the name, Anu, than I do. Anu is her name in full. Mine is short for Anusuya, the first four letters of which have often caused me some embarrassment. I was named after the mythological Anusuya, wife of the sage, Atri.

And then there is Anu Jayanth who "by God's grace reached Auckland safely". I happen to live in the US. Safely or unsafely, I dont know. One has to only read the news to learn that there's just so much grace a God can give and the rest is all really up to man.

And then there is Anu Jayant. Note, this one spells her last name ending with a 't'. And she has written something to Hrithik Roshan on his Bollywood wallpaper. Good grief! That, most emphatically, is not me.

Incidentally, Jayanth should not even be my last name. It's actually my husband's first name. As it was in many parts of South India (is it still?), we didn't have such a thing as a last name...

2 comments:

Razigan said...

Anu, Ur photograph looks cool.

Using first name of husband is still practiced in India.

The last name or surname used to be a part of south indian names before the era of Mr. Periyar. Actually not only surname, we had the town, father's name etc, etc. like the name of this south indian scientist...

"Varagur Srinivasan muralidharan ayyer"
The town - Varagur
Father's name - Srinivasan
Name - muralidharan
Surname / last name - Ayyer

Say thanks to Mr. Periyar.....

Rima Kaur said...

hehe. i studied in a malayali-christian school and there was this teacher whose name was 5 words long. he explained the same logic that razigan above has mentioned.

my name doesnt have any interesting story behind it, so its fun to know about the history of other peoples names.