Saturday, December 13, 2008

Tara and Yatri?

Also named after the wife of a sage, my sister, Vasuki, chose to go with Yashodhra, her second name, when she was just a little girl. To this day, I'm amazed at the way she said, From now on I'm going to be Yashodhra. Yashodhra is only 11 months older than I am, and be it quarrel or play, we were as close as twins and spent a great deal of time with imaginary friends in imaginary worlds. Our hand-drawn finger puppets looked frighteningly real. Tara and Yatri are, perhaps, a bit of both of us. From a young age, Yashodhra cared for stray dogs and cats with no concern for personal injury. She's now India's top dog breeder and the owner of Yashbans Kennels.

When my boy, Sirocco, died, I fled to India and stayed some months in Yashbans, Bangalore, amidst wagging tails and licking tongues and with my sister and my nieces, Rishya and Radhya.




3 comments:

Razigan said...

Did she marry Vedprakash?

Anu Jayanth said...

Vedprakash is fictional. I needed him to talk about the Vedas, which got me writing in the first place. He started off as a small paragraph and then demanded more space. I obliged :)

Rima Kaur said...

i need to visit this place if i ever go to bangalore. :)