Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Slumdog

Our house in Chennai, India, overlooked the Buckingham canal on whose banks mushroomed huts of mud and thatch. From up on the terrace, I could look into the homes, hear laughter and song and gossip and brawls. Dog or slumdog, flung at one another and intended to insult, would have me bristling.

‘Don’t insult dogs.’ I’d yell from the terrace revealing myself.

Everyone in the slums knew us or rather, of us, of our love of dogs and creatures. There were always a bunch of strays hanging about our house and guarding our gates. Many of them victims of abuse and rescued by my mother. These slumdogs showed a love and loyalty that very few humans are capable of.

I was very surprised to read this, http://www.tehelka.com/dotnet/mainheadline.asp?id=1

I love the title, Slumdog Millionaire, and I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Over the years, we have grown accustomed to watching DVD’s at home, because I’m usually so cold in the theatre. But for the first time I feel awkward to admit not having seen a movie that all my friends have and are raving about. So this weekend we shall watch the movie on the big screen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is well worth seeing.

Ayanna

Anu Jayanth said...

I hope to see it today...

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to hear you lived close to the slums, from the book I understood that you were brought up in a relatively affluent area. But no matter, the important thing is that you got to see both sides of life. Enjoy the movie.

Anu Jayanth said...

You obviously haven't been to Chennai or perhaps even to India. Wherever there's a need for servants/labor, there's always a stretch of makeshift huts closeby. Our house was on the corner of 2nd Main road in Rajah Annamalaipuram. Ours was the only house that was sort of turned away from the main street and faced the Buckingham Canal, which runs through Chennai. A side street separated our house from the canal. By the way, I really would appreciate knowing who's writing me...thanks :-)