Saturday, January 24, 2009

Found the Owner -- Yay!!!

This morning, Ayanna and I drove around putting up posters with a description of the lost black Labrador and our phone numbers, on the posts of all the stop signs in our neighborhood. I was the driver and Ayanna was the poster-paster. It was a cold, windy day and we just had to hope that the posters did not get blown off.

Later this evening Ayanna knocked on my door, 'Anu, the owner is coming to get his dog.'

Were we excited!

Some minutes later, a black car pulled into my driveway and out stepped a white-haired man. He hugged the black lab, felt the cricket ball sized lump on the underside. ‘This is our dog, Cash, all right.’ And then his hand reached toward his hip pocket, 'Thank you so much. How much do I owe you?'

'Nothing,' Ayanna and I said. It was reward enough for us to see Cash go to his owner. They live only one street away from ours. He is eleven years old and arthritic and perhaps does not go out so much, because on the second day Cash was with us, my husband and I went to that very street asking if anyone knew him. Drew a blank.

All's back to normal with Murphy as the sole owner of our affections.

5 comments:

Rima Kaur said...

congratulations! if i were murphy, i would be very pleased :D

Anu Jayanth said...

Yes, Murphy's delighted to have Cash back where he belongs. Although, Cash was a much smaller lab, he was more dominating and began to take over, sleeping by my feet or next to me. And Murphy would try to take small nips at Cash, when he thought I was not watching :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello..It's Nancy from Lakeside.
Good Job......

Michelle Ceja said...

Wonderful! Im so Glad you found his owner, I'm sure he is happy to be home! If I were his owner, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that he was in your care!

Anu Jayanth said...

Nancy, Michelle, I'm glad I was able to provide a home for Cash until we found his owner, but I'm deeply grateful to Ayanna for making the posters and then stepping out in the cold and pasting them while I sat comfortably behind the wheel...