Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lakeside Animal Clinic

My neighbor's schnauzer, Missy, had four punctures on her torso when a great dane picked her up and shook her as if Missy were a rat. Roxy, the great dane on our street, is very sweet-natured, so I don't know what set her off. No one expected Missy to survive. But survive, she did, through the exceptional care and treatment she received at Lakeside Animal Clinic.

I knew of this, but I'm ferociously loyal and I was going to take Murphy to Sirocco's vet for his annual check up and teeth cleaning. But when I drove by the vet's place, I was starting to break down again, reminded of my last visit there, of the autopsy on Sirocco. It was time to move on, begin afresh.

In the lobby of Lakeside Animal Clinic, Murphy hoisted himself over the counter and sent a flying kiss to the receptionist. He certainly doesn't have hip dysplasia. 'You got a good one there,' Dr Wiltshire said of Murphy who tested negative for heartworm, tapeworm, etc, but his teeth will have to be cleaned yearly.

This morning I dropped him off around 7 am at Lakeside Animal Clinic and picked him up at 4 pm. Murphy gave me a wet, sweet-smelling breathy kiss.

***We had a microchip put on Murphy.

3 comments:

Rima Kaur said...

oh i wanted to ask something. does every dog need to get his/her teeth cleaned?

Anu Jayanth said...

Rima, Murphy needed a teeth cleaning at the vet's, under sedation, because his teeth had excess tartar buildup. Regular brushing and chew treats work well in keeping your dog’s teeth healthy. Oral hygiene is as important for dogs as it is for humans -- for their health and also it’s much nicer to hug and kiss a dog that doesn’t have bad breath :)

Rima Kaur said...

my dad used to go to get "choosticx" for robo and sandra. they were these super hard sticks that the two used to enjoy a lot. i remember the crackling, slurping sound they used to make. i tried eating a choostick once, because i used to always sample the doggy treats that we used to buy, (i know its crazy!) and nearly broke my teeth in the process.