Monday, January 26, 2009

Oh the Things I do!

Nueces and Rio Grande are one-way and run parallel to each other. I found myself driving in the wrong way and had to turn around and go with the traffic flow, while everyone waited good-naturedly. In Houston, I once entered a narrow alley beside a strip mall along the 59, there was a delivery truck coming toward me and I did not want to back out on Hillcroft, which is a very busy street. I got out of my car, gave the keys to the truck driver and said, please could you turn my car around for me? And he did cheerily.

Your luck with people is going to run out one of these days, my husband warns me, because I really can do the stupidest of things. For instance, when I was in my twenties and walking down the street in downtown Chicago, I met a young man with a dog, a black lab. I stroked the the dog's head and I chatted with the young man. You're an artist, he declared and was very interested in the pencil portrait I was working on. Oh, would you like to see it? And I invited him, this total stranger, to the apartment -- in my husband's absence! To this day, my trust in people has not been betrayed, perhaps I have a dog's nose for finding the right people. Touch wood :-)

3 comments:

Rima Kaur said...

my mother is quite the opposite actually. she never allows my male friends to come home. according to her, home is the only place in the whole world where a person is truly safe. and pray, what would happen if someone turns psycho and comes home?

Anu Jayanth said...

If I were your mama, I'd want you to bring your male friends home so I can keep an eye on you and them...rather than have you meet them outside and not know what's going on :-) I have always encouraged my son to bring his girlfriends home...

Rima Kaur said...

ill do that with my kids :)